Start Something Big with Big Brothers Big Sisters of West Alabama
Big Brothers Big Sisters changes the way vulnerable children see the world and interact with it. We depend on donations and grants to ensure child safety and provide support for children, families and volunteers to build and sustain strong relationships. Our programs are proven to reduce a child’s risk of dropping out of school, becoming violent, using drugs and alcohol, and falling victim to other negative cycles that threaten our society. Headquartered in Tampa, Florida and with nearly 400 agencies across the country, Big Brothers Big Sisters serves more than a quarter-million children. In West Alabama, Big Brothers Big Sisters is changing the lives of over 200 children annually through motivated leadership and quality mentoring.
Learn how you can make THE difference in the life of a child of West Alabama, call our office at (205) 758-5734.
Danielle McInerney, CEO
Zelda Lavender, VP of Programs
Holly Hillard, Director of Development
Asia Hambright, Community Based Program Coordinator
Whitney Jamison, School Based Program Coordinator
Shirley Mims, Match Support Specialist
To provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
Our vision is to provide successful mentoring relationships for all children who need and want them, contributing to brighter futures, better schools and stronger communities.
We partner with parents/guardians, volunteers and others in the community and hold ourselves accountable for each child in our program achieving:
- higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships
- avoidance of risky behaviors
- educational success
How Do I Start Something?
Now that you know WHAT we do, here is HOW WELL we do it:
- 85% of former Littles surveyed agree their experience has influenced them in having confidence in their abilities.
- 84% of former Littles surveyed agree that their Big taught them the importance of helping others.
- 85% of former Littles surveyed agree their experience has influenced them in overcoming adversity or problems with courage.
- 67% of former Littles surveyed agree that their Big played a role in their decision to attend college.
- Kids with a Big Brother or Big Sister in their lives are 75% more likely to have received a four year college degree.
- Even big change starts with something little. One-on-one mentoring works. You can Start Something.
Mentoring not for you? It costs $600 per year to match and support a new relationship between a Big and a Little ($400 less here than the national average). Every dollar helps bring us closer to one more child whose life will be changed. The donor is just as crucial to a child’s success as the mentor.
We need caring adults over age 19 to spend 1 hour per week with a child who needs you. We will support you, coach you, and help plan activities with you. You just need to take the first step.
We have children here in West Alabama just waiting to be matched with a caring, adult mentor. Perhaps that person is you! We need your support.